Ohio.gov  |   State Agencies   |   Online Services

Psychological and School Psychological Supervision

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Supervision

Question: What kinds of supervision are defined as "professional supervision in psychology?"

Answer: Psychological work supervision, psychological training supervision, and psychological umbrella supervision are the three types of supervision under law.

Question: What is the difference among those three?

A. WORK supervision is for persons who are not seeking licensure but have academic and/or professional training. A WORK supervisee may have a master’s degree, a bachelor’s degree or at least two years of college, such as a mental health technology degree.

B. TRAINING supervision is for persons who are seeking licensure.  A TRAINING supervisee must be a graduate student, intern, a postdoctoral trainee/fellow.

C. UMBRELLA supervision is a type of TRAINING supervision for a graduate student, intern, or post-doctoral trainee who is learning the skills of supervising others. 

Question: When should a supervisee be registered with the Board of Psychology?

Answer: The supervisor and supervisee are jointly responsible for registering the supervisory relationship with the State Board of Psychology on or before the first date of supervision. Both the supervisor and supervisee must sign the "supervisee registration form," and both are responsible for complying with all rules of supervision in OAC § 4732-13. All WORK or TRAINING supervisees must be registered with the Board of Psychology in writing. The Board must also be notified in writing when the supervision ends. Licensees consulting with other licensees for the development of new skills or adding a new specialty area shall NOT be registered with the Board.

Question:  Are there any limits on supervisees registered or my supervisees’ caseloads?

Answer: Effective January 16, 2017, there is no limit on the number of supervisees registered with the Board, but a supervisor, emergency situations excepted, shall ensure that there are no more than two hundred forty work hours scheduled among all supervisees on a weekly basis, inclusive of both direct client contact hours and other non-clinical activities. This limitation on supervision does not apply to mental health worker supervision. There is no requirement to notify the Board about weekly supervisee hours, but you must actively monitor and limit the number of hours being worked on your license.

Question: Can a supervisor charge a supervisee for providing WORK or TRAINING supervision?

Answer: Supervisors are permitted to charge a supervisee for the supervision under the following strict circumstances from OAC § 4732-13-04(C): 

  1. The supervision occurs in a private practice setting;
  2. The supervisor is not an employee of the supervisee;
  3. The individual face-to-face supervision charge per hour does not exceed the supervisor’s reasonable and standard hourly fee for professional services to clients; and
  4. The supervisee receives all fees from reimbursements, minus reasonable overhead expenses, if the supervisee is paying for supervision directly to the supervisor.

Question:  How do I remove a supervisee from my license?

Answer: In writing. Termination of a supervisory relationship can be done via email to psy.sup@psy.ohio.gov or by fax to 614-728-7081, although supervisees who become licensed are automatically terminated.

The preceding brief answers about supervision represent a summary of the requirements for supervisees and supervisors.  For details and exact language refer to OAC § 4732-13.